Friday, July 24, 2015

Plays...Races...Curriculum...and the end of Summer

Happy Friday! This started as a four thoughts for Friday kind of post, and then I realized I gave you two things on Tuesday. So instead of subjecting you to an assortment of random internet fun-facts again, I thought I'd shoot for substance.

Then again...you are reading a blog, so it's all kind of random internet fun-facts anyway.

Nevertheless...SUBSTANCE! You shall have it!

First, an update. As mentioned previously, J Word and I returned from camp this week, and as it was the last big, scheduled event of the summer, it has invariably led to people asking what I'm doing with the rest of my time this summer. Having addressed this question from at least four people in the last four days, I might remind everyone I'm on vacation! Summer vacation! I'll do whatever I want! But that is not the kind of answer society likes to hear from its teachers (lazy do-gooders, leaching off taxpayer money, and sunning themselves all day!) So I must do things, and the first thing I tell people I'm doing, is putting the fall play together.

You may remember that when I previously discussed the play I had narrowed it down to two options.
AND

But I also left you with the caveat that I'd be very prone to change my mind if a better script came along, or the limitations of either of those productions made staging them impractical. Enter a new, and very tempting option...


And I do mean very tempting! The right balance in the cast...a set that is interesting, but doable...a script that is charming and humorous...enough name recognition to (hopefully) intrigue people. The trick in this one would be the costuming, though I found a lovely tutorial on creating a Monty Python style King Arthur/Knights of the Round table style doublet out of a twin bed sheet...so that's an option! ;) Added bonus..the performance rights are considerably cheaper than either of the other two options! (I'm all for being economical, especially when working with limited resources all the way around!) 

As for making a final decision...well...I'm still waiting on the full script for 'Fools' to show up, which is supposed to be here on Monday. So, I'll probably read through that first hash out a potential staging plan, and then make the final decision. I'm hoping to have something picked and licensed by August 1st, which is next week already! So with that said, I'm pulling "And Then There Were None," and looking between 'Fools' and 'KiKAC' instead.

Just wait until next week when I announce it's something COMPLETELY different! :)

Second thing to "do" for the rest of the summer (because I need to be "doing" something) is to race! Here's a wonderful fun fact about this summer that has not been true for two whole years. I'm not training for a marathon this summer! And let me tell you...it's kind of a wonderful thing. I'm not saying that I will never run another marathon, because I can't promise that, but I will tell you this, nothing puts the amount of time, energy, and effort it takes to train for a marathon into perspective more than not training for a marathon! Crazy, right!? Instead, I've set my sites on two, late season half marathons. The first is the ever popular Madison Mini Marathon, which I'll run for the fifth time in August. The second is the Med City Half Marathon, which will be my very first race in Rochester!

The Madison Mini is great because it's the first distance race I ever did, I love the city of Madison and the course, and my brother and brother-in-law will also run it, meaning the whole family gets to come together for the day to hangout at a road race! The Med City will be great too because the course is all downhill, I have yet to do a race in Rochester which seems well overdue, and my sister-in-law and 'cousin-in-law' (is that a thing?) are running the 10K that same morning, so it will get the J Word's side of the family together for the day to hangout at a road race! Plus...the Med City is in September, meaning my 'official' training will be over long before we get too far into the school year, and into the craziness of tech/dress rehearsals for the play. 

And while we're back on the school year, that brings me to thing number three that I need to be "doing" this summer...planning curriculum. I don't know when people think this actually happens. I supposed they think during the school year. This week, I have spent 10 hours planning curriculum, and do you know how far that's gotten me? Well...I have a unit outline plan for two of my classes through first semester, and unit plans for my other class through quarter one. As for actual lesson plans, I have 3 weeks done for one class, and part of the class website built to go along with it (but I actually started building that last spring while school was still in session, so that only partially counts in my 10 hours.) If you want to learn along with my kiddos this fall, you can check out my Media and Publishing website at the following link. CLICK HERE That's a lot of content to produce. And summer gives me the time to do it, so I plan on! 

You know what I also do, however!? Take time to play, and that's why J Word and I are headed up to the Cities with friends tomorrow to see "Mary Poppins" on stage! This will be my second time seeing the show staged. The first was at the Overture Center in Madison (full recap HERE) and I'm excited to see what they do with it in a completely different kind of theatre setting. Plus, it's always fun to take a little weekend vacation, and it will be nice to have a little bonus time with some good friends. All is well! 

Anyway, I ramble as usual! Off to the rest of the day and the weekend ahead. Hope it's supercalifragilisticexpialidocious for everyone! 

Happy Trails, 





No comments:

Post a Comment