Monday, July 27, 2015

Up for Debate: Running Shirtless

Good Monday to you blog world! It's a BALMY 80 degrees here in Rochester today, and by balmy I mean 80% humidity. That is not ideal running weather, but the Madison Mini training schedule called for 7.5 miles this morning, so off I went. And I wasn't the only one out, I passed (and was passed by) plenty of other crazies out in the mugginess trying to get their daily dose of activity. It wasn't all bad, but it was sticky, and it made me glad for moisture wicking fabric and portable water! 

I got back home, and I looked like I had stood in the shower with my clothes on. Now, admittedly I am a "spandex" runner...that is to say, I unapologetically wear spandex shorts/capris/tights when I run in public whether it be outside or at the gym. There are plenty of people that probably take offense to that. Just google "Should people run in spandex" to get the full spectrum of the debate. But on a day like today, I'm extra unapologetic because the spandex doesn't rub and chafe when soaked in salty sweat like nylon running shorts can, so I run much more comfortably. 

However, my morning run did get me thinking about another clothing debate that gets people equally as riled up, and that is the question of whether or not people should run shirtless in public. Notice I said shirtless...not topless...ladies, if you're pursuing this option a sports bra is definitely required! 

A little backstory before I jump into my thoughts on both sides of this one: 

Recently, J word and I were driving through downtown Rochester and saw a very heavyset man reclining on a bench without a shirt on. He had a bicycle propped up next to him, but appeared in no real hurry to be "working out" or going anywhere. He was just chilling, in public, without shirt. J Word made a comment along the lines of "The no shirt, no shoes, rule should apply to sidewalks and not just indoor shops or restaurants." In the context of what we were observing, I chuckled and agreed, only to follow up a moment later with, "Unless someone is running..." Thus started our mini debate about when, if ever, there's an appropriate time to go shirtless in public.

In the interest of full disclosure, I will admit to having run in just a sports bra numerous times; and I have two sports bras in particular that have extra "design features" to make them "more appropriate" to wear sans shirt. (Design features include things like an extra lining, support, and "non-revealing" color scheme.)  

So, back to the debate. Because I've done it...and liked it while doing so...I'll defend shirtless runners first. 

First of all, I think this side of the debate comes down to comfort level with your own body vs. comfort level while running, and I'd like to add the disclaimers that if you're working out in an air conditioned gym, there's probably no reason to take your shirt off! But, let's say you're running outside on a day like today with 80% humidity, and you're sweating up a storm. For guys, running without a shirt on is essentially akin to wearing a swimsuit. Plus, I feel like this is a lot less of an issue for guys anyway, because things like "shirts vs. skins" are long standing fixtures of male athletics. So I will not waste my time trying to convince you otherwise. 

It's on the ladies' side, however, that the jury still seems to be out. Ever since Brandi Chastain ripped off her jersey at the 1999 World Cup, the idea of women prancing around in shorts and a bra has been rather openly (and over) discussed. Here's my long and short of it. Sometimes a shirt is just too much. I ran in a moisture wicking "meshy" singlet this morning, and it was drenched and uncomfortable by the time I got home. I should have ditched it at mile 4, but I had my water belt on, and wanted something between the strap and my skin. On the whole, my sports bra and shorts are far less revealing than my swimsuit, and nobody seems to complain when I wear that in public.

Oh! And for those who say that people shouldn't workout shirtless because their "body" is offensive (overweight...stretch marks...flabby skin...whatever), they are working out, so obviously they care somewhat about their body, regardless of what it looks like in the current moment, so just stop talking!

As for the other side, well I suppose the issue here comes down to modesty. 

If we're going to make an argument against running shirtless, first we must agree that we're talking about all people, and not just women. The argument against women running shirtless, often comes back to the idea that women should be trying to be provocative, solicit unwanted attention, etc. and that's just ridiculous. I have never gone on a long distance run in a sports bra thinking about attracting some guy's attention in the process. If I'm running long enough and hard enough when it's hot enough to merit running in a sports bra, I'm doing it for no one but myself. And if you've ever seen me post run...it's not exactly super attractive and sexy...just saying! 

Ok...so not that we agree that we're talking all people not just women, then it comes down to modesty in general. We don't grocery shop without a shirt. We don't go to restaurants without a shirt. While we're allowed to do what we want in the privacy of our own homes, and we have specific outlets/areas of society (the beach, pool, etc.) where we accept a different dress code, on the whole, we're expected to cover ourselves appropriately in public, and that includes the public areas where we run and workout. Plus, with the available options in workout clothing, it's much easier to stay cool than it once was when people were just picking through a stack of old cotton t-shirts. It's not that hard to find a cheap tech-shirt designed to help keep you cool when it's hot, so there's really no reason to have to take your clothes off.

In the end, most people with an opinion on the debate will fall on the side that they would feel most comfortable doing themselves. Those who are comfortable running shirtless themselves, are probably more likely to support all people doing it, while those aren't comfortable running shirtless themselves may be more prone to think no one should do it. Some will point to comfort and practicality; others to modesty and safety (though again to the safety point, I think that's a different issue! The only time I've ever been harassed while running was when I was in capris and a long sleeve shirt!). 

Either way, I think the thing no one is debating is that you should be getting out and doing something!whether it's shirtless, or zipped into a wetsuit covering every inch of skin...get out and get active! 

What side would you take? 

Happy Trails, 


   

      

No comments:

Post a Comment