Friday, October 23, 2015

Four Thoughts for Friday

It's Friday! TGIF to that! Last week was fall break week...just two days with students, a wonderfully inspiring inservice, and then FREEDOM! J Word and I headed down to Wichita to see Oz, spent a fun and restful weekend exploring the city, spent far too much time in the car, so I balanced that out by taking Monday...and suddenly Tuesday felt like I hadn't been to work in AGES (because, well, I kind of hadn't!) Thus, Friday feels like a welcome relief, not because I haven't had off in a while, but because I'm trying to get myself back in a normal routine...and I feel like I need a weekend and a regular Monday to help "reset" out of vacation mode.

Yes...I said I need a Monday morning...but let's not rush into things! First...Happy Friday! Some thoughts as you head into your weekend.

1. This looked like a good idea on HGTV - Admittedly, I like HGTV, and J Word and I watch it together and talk about how reasonable or unreasonable people are being. J Word has great insight into this because he does home renovation and flipping houses, and understands what it really takes to get some of the projects people undertake, finished. HGTV has a lot of cool ideas...but it's also a little bit like Pinterest in that it gives you unrealistic expectations about what your home could (or should) look like. Enter this list CLICK HERE of vocabulary you should understand before watching any HGTV show. It's not to say you CAN'T have what they show you on Love It or List It...it's just to say you should go in eyes wide open!

2. Public Service Announcement - JK Rowling is writing a play, and it's the sequel to Harry Potter Book 7. Ummmmm....what!!??!?!

3. Prop Master - This week I've been creating all kinds of random things for the school play. I generally like playing 'Prop Master,' and occasionally I come up with something kind of cool that I sit back and look at and think, 'Wow! That looks pretty legit!" I felt that way when I found this list of foods that had been "Giantized." CLICK HERE. I feel like, if I made one of these foods I would feel it too was "Pretty legit!" Oh boy...I'm starting to sound like my students. But really...check these out!



4. Who do you cheer for when your team is on a bye week? - These week, my favorite football team is on a bye, and that means I'm left cheering for a host of other random teams on which I have players from my fantasy football team. Consequently, I also get to cheer against certain teams that my players are playing. So football continues to be the king of Sunday at the Laack house. 

I have two fantasy football teams. Our family league is called "Border Battle" because we're split between MN and WI, and because I'm on the wrong side of the border for the team I actually cheer for, my team is named 'Behind Enemy Lines.' The other league J Word and I play in with friends has a bunch of random team names in it, and my team is called "Rodgers That" (despite the fact that J Word - a Vikings fan - drafted Aaron Rodgers before I could). 

If you don't play fantasy football, you may be wondering what all this fuss is about. But here's the funny thing. Last year I chose a "clever" team name, and only about a 1/3 of the league did. This year, most of the rest of the league followed suit, and we have wonderfully creative names like "Madison Rabid Honey Badgers" and "Space Sloths." Our other league has also had funny names...and they're not all hyper-appropriate. The point is, people think about this stuff. People think about this stuff so much that there is now a fantasy football team name generator. CLICK HERE. And they're actually kind of funny. I clicked around it for a while and came up with 'One Season Too Favre," "I got 99 problems but my Kicker's not one," and "Fire Breathing Rubber Ducks." I'm seriously considering using Fire Breathing Rubber Ducks next year! 
  

:)

Happy Trails,

No comments:

Post a Comment