Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Is hindsight still 20-20 if you're blind? (And other weird questions.)

I thought I was so clever in naming this post...until I Googled looking for an image to accompany the post, and found out it had already been turned into a meme!
If something has already been memed it is not original, and it may have been clever at one time, but it's not clever anymore. Darn it.

Nevertheless...I'll press on to the 'other questions' part of the subtitle, as that's where the real focus of the post is supposed to go (and not on my inherent lack of cleverness). There has been a prevalent question in my class of late that I've gotten better at answering, but has left me wanting to roll my eyes and take a deep breath before answering.

Did you get my mom's email? I love it when students ask me this because I'm never 100% sure what kind of response they're looking for. Sometimes I go with, "Yes...did your mom share with you the response I wrote?" Other times I go with, 'No...why don't you tell me what's going on." Then there's the ever popular, "Yes...and I told your mom I would talk directly with you in class." Which always seems to scare kids. I don't have a problem with parents emailing me at all. I even encourage it if they have questions. But when kids ask questions about their assignment and grades through their parents, it's time to start learning to have their own conversations.

For example, I recently received a variation of this:
          "Dear Mrs. Laack, Little Jimmy doesn't understand why he got a D on his project. Can you please explain. Thanks, Mom" 

To which I responded to the student, and cc'd the mother...because clearly it's the student's question and not the mom's.
          "Dear Little Jimmy, You received a rubric that explained your point breakdown for the assignment. If you have specific questions on the rubric, please bring it back to class tomorrow and I can discuss it with you. Thanks, Mrs. Laack" 

The aforementioned parent then responded (just to me and not to their student).
           "Dear Mrs. Laack, Thank you. I was unaware there was a rubric on this assignment. I'll have Little Jimmy bring it back to school tomorrow. Thanks, Mom." 

End of conversation...kind of. Little Jimmy never did bring his rubric to talk about it in class. When I asked about it, the student seemed suddenly content with the grade and didn't want to discuss it.

I can imagine what the backend of the conversation looked like at home. The parent likely had no idea there was a rubric, just heard their student complaining about the grade...maybe not understanding some aspect of the assignment and therefore not understanding the grade, and so they email me, and then reassure their student that they're finding an answer for them.

But I'm trying to teach communication, so being asked "Did you see my mom's email?" when the student could have used the same breath to ask me the question they had themselves is a totally teachable moment! And I'm subtly, if not slightly passive-aggressively trying to use that moment. My parents used to make us make our own phone calls to schedule appointments, ask questions, etc. I HATED it. I think email is WAY less scary, but I see in today's 21st century world, kids hiding behind the keyboard of their parents much like I preferred my parents to make calls on my behalf. I needed to be taught, and at some point, it became less scary.

I can't imagine I'm that scary of a person...but if I am, then I'm the perfect person to practice on!

So yes students...I got your mom's email. Did YOU get my response?

Happy Trails,

No comments:

Post a Comment