Monday, October 26, 2015

A spooktacular Halloween post

This coming weekend we'll have lots to celebrate. Saturday is, of course, Halloween, and then (in case you stayed out to late...not that that ever happens on Halloween night!) Sunday is daylight savings time, so you get an extra hour of sleep back! Even if you don't like Halloween, everyone loves extra sleep, and it's the one day a year you actually get a bonus hour...so even if you don't use it to sleep. Use it to do something worthwhile!

I'm exceptionally thankful (next month we get our holiday for thankfulness, but it's good to be grateful year round) for this extra hour of sleep, and for the fact that, for at least a little while, it might be light on either my rive to or my drive home from work. More likely this will happen on my drive to work, which is good, because this morning I slept through my alarm clock, and when I finally woke up AN HOUR LATER, I was completely disoriented because it was still VERY dark outside, and WHY ISN'T THE SUN UP EVEN WHEN I'M RUNNING RIDICULOUSLY LATE?!!?

But I digress. Back to the weekend and Halloween. Since I've started teaching, Halloween has become semi-enjoyable again, mostly because students find it amusing (or really weird) when teacher's dress up for Halloween. As I always enjoy amusing (or weirding out) my students, this is a wonderful opportunity!

Also, students dress up on Halloween, which is sort of fun and gives everyone a chance to be silly. This year with Halloween on a Saturday, Friday is that designated dress up day, and our new principal is actually promoting and encouraging kids to dress up, so that will be interesting. But like I said...also totally fun...maybe...I think! ;)

Student Halloween costumes have provided me with many fond memories, including one particular girl who came to school wearing a crushed cardboard box, colored purple, with patches of tin foil and colored construction paper glued all over it. When she finally came to my class that afternoon, I made a couple of (what I thought were) admirable guesses before she sighed and rolled her eyes and said, "Good grief, I'm a robot! Everybody knows that!"

In truth...nobody knew that. But I'm proud of this student for using her imagination and not being afraid to think outside of the box...or inside of the box as the case was that day!

Last year I went to school as Waldo from 'Where's Waldo.' My "adult," "real" Halloween costume was also Waldo, so I pretty much just dressed like Waldo all day which was great, but did make my after work trip to Target a little awkward and interesting. This year I'm going to school as a girl scout. My "adult," "real" Halloween costume is not a girl scout. I won't be shopping at Target in either outfit I think.

One last thing about Halloween that used to be fun at school but no longer is was my passing out of candy for my students. Unfortunately, new, really strict rules about what I can and can't give them now make it impossible for me to do that (wouldn't want to upset anyone's peanut, soy, lactose, gluten, sugar, allergies). Sometimes, there are loopholes around this, but the hassle has really kind of taken the fun out of it.

That said, I will show them this catchy infographic about the most popular trick-or-treat candies by state.


And then I will share with them my following observations:

1. Really Minnesota? 100 Grand? We like those here? I would never really call that my favorite candy but it does beat...

2. REALLY WISCONSIN?? Laffy Taffy?? The sad thing is I know it's true because I used to get dozens of these while trick-or-treating, but I don't like chewy, fruity candies, so I was never a fan. I know they sell these in bags of 1000 for like $5, so I'm sure people get them because they're cheap. But oh man...it was a bad night if I dumped my trick-or-treat bag and saw 100 of those little guys on the carpet!

Of course, anything chocolate was the big trick-or-treat score. We give out Reese's Peanut Butter cups at our house because they're gluten free. And...if it happens like last year and we get no trick-or-treaters...J Word and I don't mind emptying the bowl ourselves.

So there's all your need to know for the Halloween weekend. Make plans...stay safe...have fun...and as always...

Happy Trails,

No comments:

Post a Comment