Monday, September 14, 2015

From the Director's Chair...Auditions

Play auditions start tonight for our fall production 'Fools,' and I am both pumped, and a little stressed about how things are going to go.

There are two things that first cross my mind when choosing a show:
1. How many kids are in the cast? (Sub-question: Will I have that many kids audition?)
2. Do I have the right kids to do the show? ("Right" here meaning ratio males/females, vocal parts/ability if it is a musical, etc. etc.)

After that, I can start to think about whether or not the show is any good, will it be a good experience for the actors/audience, and all those content kinds of questions. But first, I have to figure out if I even have the manpower to consider it. There's actually a second phase to that manpower question, and that happens after I've already answered the question for myself. That happens tonight at auditions. Did I guess right, or did I come out way wrong?!

I've been right, and I've had to get very creative with my casting before. In both cases, the show has gone on, though one with considerably less stress and tension than the other.

That's why I've always like 'Fools,' and I've considered doing it just about every show cycle! The cast is manageable, and the character parts are approachable for kids. You have to have a few strong leads (which I generally do), and there are parts for kids to grow into. I thought this would be a great year to do it because we'd have a couple core seniors/juniors, with lots of room for freshmen and sophomores to grow into their parts and the program. And then the unexpected happened...

A LOT of kids showed up for the informational meeting! And by A LOT, I mean three times as many kids as I have parts for. This is an AMAZING problem to have! There's excitement about theatre and the performing arts, and that's exciting. What's not exciting is thinking about posting a cast list that doesn't have room for everyone to participate.

There is the off chance that not every at the meeting will come and audition. I don't "wish" for that to happen because, like I said, I do want kids to be excited about theatre...though it would solve my casting problem. I also like the fact that more people harbors a little more of a feeling of urgency and competition in the audition process, which will hopefully encourage kids to step up and bring their A-Game. As someone cut from the first play they auditioned for, however, I know that that "pressure" can make people's performances go the other way too. It's a catch 22...but it's my catch 22 to deal with.

It's a great show. I'm excited to direct it, and I'm excited for the kids that will get to be a part of it. What I'm not excited for is the next three nights, and having to decide who those kids are going to be!

Happy Trails,








PS...Though I've never liked the audition process, nothing will compare to the 'Cinderella' auditions, and having to tell 20 high school girls they weren't princesses. (Which I hated almost as much as having to narrow down a pool of 25 elementary school students to 2 little girls for the 'Sound of Music') You know what...on second thought...tonight will be fine! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment