Friday, August 14, 2015

Four Thoughts for Friday

It's Friday! Congratulations on making it through another week. At this point, it feels like mine are flying by, and with only one "duty free" week of summer left, I'm using every excuse possible to celebrate what little time remains of Summer 20154. Today it's Friday! Let's celebrate.

I've had many thoughts this week, and have read many ridiculous things. Mostly this is a product of Donald Trump still being a person that insists on opening his mouth. Then I read those things and get angry, and life goes on! Also, this week I joined 'the Skimm' which is, by far, the best way to get your news. It's a daily, Monday-Friday e-mail service that's AWESOME, so if you're not 'skimming' yet, you're missing out. But the news in general usually also leads to ridiculous things as well. So going back to a daily, reliable news update has up-ed my "what did I just read" quotient.

Today's thoughts are "news light" in the sense that they are relevant to the national conversation that is happening on some level, but are not ranting and raving editorial style commentaries on the shortcomings of society...of which there are many. (Both shortcomings and raving editorials!)

1. Target announced this week that they will start removing gender specific signage, particularly in their toy section. If you've missed the story, catch up here. I am generally indifferent on this decision as I think:
               A. People are probably going to buy whatever they want regardless of what kind of signage Target has. But also...
               B. Signs like the one below due seem a little archaic. And what is a 'Girl's Building Set' anyway?
Signage aside, if we're going to spend time talking about a problem with children's toys, we should probably spend less time talking about how they're organized in a store, and more time talking about the toys themselves. For example, if now boys and girls can be comfortable walking through the toy section to buy a Barbie...that's great. Good on ya' kiddos. However, when that Barbie still represents unrealistic body image standards, it doesn't matter who bought it and who's playing with it, the problem still remains the toy itself...not the signage. So this week I had to chuckle when I came across the buzzfeed artist's rendition of Disney Princesses with vs. without makeup. CLICK HERE. The most entertaining element...why do all their eyelashes disappear without makeup?? 

2. I'll preface this next one by saying I've given you the story link...but don't actually click the story link. You'll never get the IQ points back that you lose from reading it. That said...you've been warned not to CLICK HERE.

So why, Why, WHY are the Kardashians still news? I mean, I "get" (in the sense that I don't really understand it at all) why Caitlyn Jenner makes for a good reality TV show, but who cares about the Kardashian girls anymore? Why did we ever care? And WHY, dear Lord WHY!, do we care about the aforementioned news story about Kylie Jenner wearing her mother's swimsuit while on vacation? I'm writing to the writer of the article to ask for my braincells back.

3. This one is just plain interesting and fun. An ink-blot test can supposedly be used to determine your age based on what kind of things you see in the blots. Mine was semi-accurate in the sense that I'll accept 33 even though I'm almost 28. I'm willing to be lenient seeing as they're making the guess based on my opinions of misshapen blobs. 5 years off isn't all that shabby! CLICK HERE to try it yourself.

4. Yesterday there was a massive explosion in China, and the pictures that have been taken of the damage is incredible. There is perhaps no creepier picture than that of the rows and rows of cars that were within the blast radius. If this doesn't set you towards thinking about some weird-post apocalyptic movie set, I don't know what will!

It's PGA Championship weekend, and 10 miler Saturday. (It's also HOT and HUMID). So stay cool, enjoy some golf, and as always...

Happy Trails,





No comments:

Post a Comment