Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Dreadmill Running and Waiting for Spring




Hey runner readers!

Here's a quick tip for those of you, like me, that hate running on the treadmill and winter. I've gotten MUCH better this winter about cross-training. I've even add weight training to my routine twice a week at the gym, which...if you've followed me through my whole running journey...you know I really hate to do. But nothing really makes the treadmill an awesome alternative to running outdoors. And thus, I've been forced to find treadmill workouts that leave me feeling awesome and not like I want to pull my hair out. Here are three treadmill options if you have 30-45 minutes and can't stand straight mileage on the mill.

1. Circuits: This is probably my favorite go to winter work out this year because I'm never doing one thing long enough to get bored. Start by warming up 1-2 miles at a comfortable pace. Then, sprint for a quarter mile. Get off the treadmill and do a set of the following: 20 dumbell curls, 20 sideways arm lifts, 10 front lifts, 10 tricep lifts. Drop the weights and plank for 1 minute, then switch onto your right side for a 30 second side plank, followed by a 30 second side plank on the left side. 15 seconds in child's pose...15 seconds in down dog. Then, go back to the treadmill for another quarter mile sprint, and repeat.

2. Intervals: This is a brutal treadmill workout, but one that's quick and effective. Start with a mile run after which begin the following intervals: 30 seconds of running at a pace .5 higher than your comfortable running pace, 20 seconds .5 higher, 10 seconds at a full sprint. Repeat this pattern 5 times, then returning to an easy jog to recover. Repeat the set 3-5 times.

3. Treadmill 400s: This is also an interval workout, but less intense and more sustainable than the last one. Run a mile to warm up, then break the next few miles into 400m chunks. Run 400m at a pace slightly faster than comfortable, then the next 400m at a pace 1 setting higher on the treadmill (I run them between 6.5-7.5). Sustain for as many miles as you want to cover.

Of course, there are always the non-treadmill options as well. Biking while watching movies or catching up on TV shows isn't wildly entertaining, but it's a good way to break up some of the monotony as well. Whatever you're doing...just hold on a little bit longer! I see 50 degrees in the forecast next week!!

Happy Trails,

No comments:

Post a Comment