Thursday, September 11, 2014

Here we go again

Today is the one week point of the new Pine Island teaching adventure, and whew! am I glad I had some strong coffee this morning because I've been a running fool today (and not the marathon training kind!)

Last week was, to put it bluntly, a week of pure survival. The kids were great; my coworkers were excellent; I can't complain about anyone specific thing that went wrong or was particularly bad. However, there is just that general feeling of not being fully settled in that comes with starting a new job and getting used to new routines. So, the first 4 days were a bit of a trial by fire...but we all survived and there wasn't a mass exodus of students trying to drop my classes, so this is success.

Well, this week brings a new set of challenges as I continue and try to launch my 2014-2015 school year, and that's the fall musical. To be fair, I've been in almost this same position before. My first year at GET I started the fall play the second week of the school year as well. However, I also had another week of rehearsal between auditions and performances...and it wasn't a musical, which takes about 500 variables out the equation!

So this is a bit of an experiment. Ok...it's a massive experiment! It's like high school theater American ninja warrior...only the fittest have a chance at surviving the gauntlet, and even then, people fall on their faces.

Tonight is the final night of auditions, however. Which means at about 7:00 I'll go home to face a run, a lot of difficult choices...and we'll see if my traditional "casting night pizza" takes place. I wouldn't want to mess with a successful formula after all!

As to the show itself, well, I have a lot of learning to do even about that. But I do know it's pretty cute. I mean, come on guys, who doesn't love the ugly duckling...set to music...? Seriously!?


On with the show...well show auditions...well...oh whatever!

Happy Trails, 


No comments:

Post a Comment